Nethersole Institute of Continuing Holistic Health Education (NICHE)

Nethersole Institute of Continuing Holistic Health Education (NICHE)

More
Clinical Pastoral Education Training Programme (CPE)

Clinical Pastoral Education Training Programme (CPE)

More
Hospital Museum

Hospital Museum

More

Hospital Museum

Our Services

Since 1887, the forerunners of Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Charity Foundation developed quality medical and health services based on the Love of Jesus, and the philosophy of serving with "Compassionate Love" over the centuries...

Our Hospital Museum shall bring you to the pilgrimage of "Compassionate Love"

Past medical equipment

 

 

 

Historical Moments

1 When we started

In 1887, Sir Kai Ho Kai generously made a donation for the building of the Alice Memorial Hospital in memory of her beloved wife who died in 1884. It was the first hospital serving the local poor Chinese with western medicine, with the love and tenderness of Christ. The Hospital was managed by the former London Missionary Society (now known as the Council for World Mission). Other hospitals, Nethersole Hospital, Alice Memorial Maternity Hospital and Ho Miu Ling Hospital, were commissioned in 1893, 1904 and 1906 respectively. They were located at the juncture of Bonham Road and Breezy Path, Mid-levels, Hong Kong.

2 Change of the Body Corporate

The hospitals were then incorporated by Ordinance under the corporate name of The Executive Committee of The Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital ("EC, AHNH") in 1954. While the Hospital joined the Hospital Authority in 1991 to become a public hospital, and relocated to Tai Po, New Territories in 1997, our body corporate has changed to become the Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Charity Foundation in 2008, by Ordinance, to facilitate our more diversified service developments, and continuously serve with the motto of providing “Holistic Care with Compassionate Love”.

3 Hong Kong College of Medicine for Chinese

On 1 October 1887, the “Hong Kong College of Medicine for Chinese” was established and Alice Memorial Hospital was the teaching hospital. A 5-year course leading to a “Licentiate of Medicine and Surgery, College for Chinese” was offered. One of the first group of students was Sun Yat-sen, later to become the revolutionary leader whose inspiration led to the fall of the old Chinese Imperial Rule and usher in a new era of democracy.

4 How sermons were preached?

In 1889, evangelistic work was conducted in the outpatient department by a Chinese pastor, Rev. Wong Yuk Cho, and an evangelist, Mr. Lai Fuk Chi, of Daoji Church. At that time, men and women patients had to be completely separated, so sermons were preached in a hall with a wall separating the men and women. A hole in the wall permitted them to look at the preacher.

5 The first student nurse

The first student nurse, Ah Kwai entered for nursing training in 1893 and determined not to marry in token of her commitment in serving others.
 

6 Male nurse looked after male patients

In 1921, Ms. Maud Ward took charge of nursing in the Ho Miu Ling Hospital and started to train male nurses to look after the male patients. However, the training of male nurses ended in 1925 due to a general strike in Hong Kong.

7 Diversified fund raising activities

In 1934, the nurses entered enthusiastically into the business of fundraising, organizing a “Mile of Dollars” campaign. Ten dollars measured one Chinese foot, and there were 1,800 feet to the Chinese mile. By the end of the year, a total of $11,000 had been collected. “One Pound Day”, “Match Boxed Day” and “Flowers Day” were organized in 1940’s and 1950’s as fund-raising activities.
 

8 Hard times during Japanese occupation

During the Japanese Occupation (1941) in the Second World War, all the Western staff were interned at the concentration camp in Stanley. Queen Mary Hospital was acquisitioned for military use. Nethersole Hospital was renamed as the First Civil Hospital. Ms. Lau Mei Yuk, the Matron in charge, was made responsible for the deployment of nurses to support the Second Civil Hospital (Sai Ying Pun Hospital).
 

9 The prototype of hospital volunteer services

A new venture in 1966 was a Volunteers’ Trolley Shop. A large trolley laden with toothpaste and toilet paper, fruit drinks and paper-back books was pushed from ward to ward by enthusiastic volunteers from the community. Lively conversations with patients were made during the visits. The Trolley Shop later evolved into “Volunteers Tuck Shop” whereby the hours and scope of service were extended.

10 Lifting up without a lift

There was no elevator in the old days of Nethersole, patients were lifted up to the higher floors for treatment with a lifting chair.
 

Enquiry Form